Monday, June 01, 2015

05-23-15

Went to get lab work done for the four of us (all but Derek) and look at our number! 26.2!  Ok, there was no "." But still. 


Ever since their annual check up last week, Brennan has not wanted to get his blood drawn.  He was happy to hear he had not shots (immunizations) but once he discovered what it meant to get his blood drawn, he was worried.  For THREE days he's been dreading this moment. 
He wondered how much blood they were going to take, if it was going to be so much that he would die...why there isn't another way to check to see if he is healthy...
He also somehow decided that going last was best.  Matt and I went first.  He hid his face, squatting and facing the wall, hoping to not have to go. I had to call Derek over to help. 
Brennan screamed at the top of his lungs "I don't want to!" The whole facility heard, I'm sure.  
I had to help get Dashiell done in the meantime.  He just wanted to know why there wasn't another way to do this other than drawing blood. He was convinced there was an alternate way that just hadn't been mentioned to him. 
Finally he let her do it, and he was done! 
Back to Brenny.  He was making his body all rigid, and kicking his legs around.  He was turning all red....Derek held him while I had to hold his legs.  
Then he said to the lab tech, "can I ask you a question before you do it?" Just to stall, actually.  He asked about half a dozen times.  I don't think he ever asked a quotation.
Then she inserted the needle.  Then he said "is it in there?" And it WAS! He didn't even realize it!!  He had a look of surprise on his face! 
He said it wasn't so bad afterwards.


I headed out to Riverside for the Nanny Goat 12/24/100 race.  I was supposed to be part of a 4-man relay; we thought it was 6 hour shifts, starting at 8am and I was to be the second leg.  But it wasn't. Just a team-timed total of miles.  So I started at 1pm instead of 2 and ran until 7:42pm. 
I got 31miles in!  My second 50k!! :) 
The one mile loop really wasn't bad at all.  Thanks to the crew and pacers out there it was quite enjoyable and relaxing :)



Watching It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

No comments: